Saturday, September 8, 2018

When Did Americans start hating freedom?

When did the people in the United States start hating freedom? I thought this country fought wars so that we could be free. I thought we went to war on behalf of others so they could also be free. Yet, every time someone uses their freedom to do or say what they want, they are quickly opposed to their right to say or do it.

The problem is we want our freedom. We just do not want those with whom we disagree to have it. Addidas, Ben & Jerry’s, Chick-fil-A, The NFL, and Nike have all been part of “boycotts” in the last few years because people do not like them exercising their freedoms. Now, you have the right to boycott. I’m not taking that away from you. I just hope your liberty to express yourself is not taken away.

We seem to be self-righteous. Our way is not only better than your way. It should be the only way. It is the best way. We may not say those words, but our actions scream them.

We call others weak because they are offended. We tell others to toughen up and get over themselves. Yet, we get angry when others express a different opinion. When people say we get offended, we deny it because that places the blame on us. We say, “I’m not offended, I am just standing up for what is right.”

An offense is defined as annoyance or resentment brought about by a perceived insult to or disregard for oneself or one's standards or principles. That sums up almost everyone I have ever spoken to who says they are not offended.

I do not agree with many things people say or do. I have chosen not to boycott or break ties with them. Last time I checked, the Bible speaks many times about unity, forgiveness, and love. Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. (1 Peter 3:8) How does separating ourselves from people or even companies with whom we disagree display any of those principles? Separation does not show unity. Continually criticizing others does not demonstrate forgiveness. Hoping a person is fired and never works again does not display love.

II have a Christian friend of mine who had a Muslim open a business near his church. Most people could see that there is a different perception in the way these two men would think. My friend did not have his congregation boycott the business for his beliefs. He went to the man and asked if he could pray for the man’s business to be successful.

That is how we should be. I do not have to agree with everything you believe, but I should hope and pray for your success, not your ideas, but your business and your well-being. We should desire and pray for the best to happen to people. I think many of us believe that God cares more for values rather than people, but Jesus died for the people. He told them not to sin anymore, but he gave his life because he loved the people.

Yes, I am an American, but primarily, I am a follower of Christ. I believe in unity. I think that Christians should be in full accord and of one mind. (Philippians 2:2)

However, not all Americans are Christians. That is their prerogative. We do not have to be of one mind with everyone else. Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. (Luke 11:17). I do not want the church to fall, but I also do not want the United States to collapse. We need to put aside our differences and pray for each other to succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment